Saturday, May 12, 2018

Coming together!

Yes, it is really warm here. But since I've been cold in SD for the entire winter, I'm not complaining about it. It's about 80 in my place when I wake up, and even though it cools off at night, it's still about 90 at bedtime. I close the blinds and windows when the sun starts shining in which I'm absolutely sure helps a bit with the heat. Since I work the late shift, I am at work (in the AC) during the hottest parts of the day.

I only have vertical blinds. Ick. One slat has already broken off so there's that issue.... I decided to order some solar roller shades. They are 20% off on the depot website, and since I know how to order them, I did. I feel like I am bleeding money. The solar rollers were about $250 for both, but I really think that will help when it gets really hot and I should be able to save that much on the cooling bills during those really hot months. Most of my neighbors have had their ACs on since I've been here. Wusses. LOL

Now I just need to find a way to secure my shepherd's hook so that I can put up a hummingbird feeder. I've seen them flying around, and I hope to get a few visitors. I tried a 'no melt' suet feeder, but the first day I put it out it melted and left me a suety patio. Yuk. It really is difficult to clean up.

Other than the heat, I have all my boxes unpacked except my books. I am looking for the perfect shelves. I had some at my old place made out of boards and bricks, but I live on the third floor with no elevator, and I really don't want to haul them all up the steps. I had a hard time when I originally got them, and didn't have stairs to deal with. Maybe I can figure out a way to build one without bricks. Why does no one make bookshelves for paperbacks? They aren't very tall, and the regular book cases are all sized for hardcovers, so there is a lot of wasted space. I haven't read much since leaving WI, so they might just end up staying in boxes in my storage area. That wouldn't be the end of the world....

One of my concerns about moving here was my pay. Home Depot will change your pay if you move into different regions or markets. I had been told they WOULD cut my pay, since living expenses in AZ are much less than CA. They didn't. Woot! So now I'm making SD wages, and one of my checks covers my rent. I get paid every two weeks, and in SD, I had to make sure to save half of my first check to cover rent, and once rent was paid, I was broke. So I don't mind spending a bit of money here to make this place mine. One check covers rent. That has not happened since I moved out of WI. And it makes my life so much less stressful! It also gives me the opportunity to buy a washer and dryer ( I have hookups in my apartment) and that will be awesome! I just need to wait for the Depot's 4th of July sale.

My friend Tonya has stopped calling every day, thank you. I kind of think now she's used to the fact that I'm gone. We really don't need to talk every day. We didn't before, so why now? I get that she misses me, but I don't really miss her that much. I don't miss making plans that she will change at the last minute, or forget totally about. I do kind of miss her dog though. I have been thinking about getting a cat, just to have a little something extra for the house. Definitely I would get an older cat, one that won't need as much attention as a kitten. That won't be for a while, but it definitely will come. I have an outdoor patio to put the litter box in, or I can use the laundry room... I just don't want the cat to try to jump off my patio. Three floors is a long way down!

So that's about all the news for now. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

jambalie said...

I got a set of wire shelves from BigLots that I use for clothes, but I think it's actually sized pretty well for paperbacks. It's also super light weight and was cheap. *shrug* Hurray for unexpected pay!

jimbostaxi said...

I had a coworker of mine just recently move to Arizona he went there twice before they actually left and he loved it, glad your pay has stayed the same :)